Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Top 10 Chick Flicks

Wikipedia defines a Chick Flick as "slang for a film designed to appeal to a female target audience." Being female, it is in my nature to be attracted to these kinds of movies every once in a while. Some of my top chick flicks can be compared to comfort food. It's something I like to experience over and over, especially on those days that I really need me some comforting.

So, here are some of my personal favorites: (in random order)

1. Bridget Jones's Diary (2001). This was the first movie that came to mind when I thought up this list, primarily because, it's one of the chick flicks that make me laugh the hardest. Sometimes, the best way to feel better is to laugh your ass off, and this movie may do just that. It's witty, sarcastic and even sadistic at times. Also, Colin Firth as Mahrc Dahrcy can make any girl, myself included, swoon.



2. While you were Sleeping (1995). Although it's not quite as funny as the first chick flick I mentioned, this is still one of my favorites. What struck me most about this film, especially when I first watched it as a young girl, is the original premise and unique spin on love stories. It's not the typical boy meets girl and they fall in love; it's actually girl falls in love with and stalks boy. Well, original and unique in 1995 at least. Despite it sometimes coming across as a "family movie", it still can deliver the warm, fuzzy feeling we girls get when it comes to romantic stories.

3. As Good As It Gets (1997). Legendary Hollywood bad-ass Jack Nicholson in a chick flick??? Yes way! I think this is one of those films that will be on everyone's list, not just because its freakin' Jack Nicholson, but because it just really is a good movie. A great one, even. With a very funny and well-written screenplay, a few of Hollywood's best actors and actresses and a really cute dog named Verdell, how can you not love this movie?


4. One Fine Day (1996). I know this movie is plain mediocre, at best. But I guess it's just one of those mediocre movies that you love, without really knowing why. Well, okay. I guess I can think of one good reason: George Clooney. Sometimes, after a bad day, George Clooney can make everything better.



5. Love Actually (2003). Now this is what you call a chick flick! We all know girls love complicated stuff. Well, with a top notch all-star British cast, complicatedly interwoven story lines, and a shirtless Rodrigo Santoro, it can just about put other chick flicks to shame. Plus, it also doubles as a Christmas movie. Two birds... One movie.



6. The Truth About Cats and Dogs (1996). Why do I love thee? Well, it portrays the ideal (though unrealistic) society where in the end, brains, humor and character triumph over beauty, blond hair and long, long legs.





7. My Best Friend's Wedding (1997). This is about a career woman who had a great relationship with a great guy, messed it up, and never had it quite as great again. Then, she finds out Mr. Great Guy is getting married. In other words, it's about most single career women in their thirties. Want more proof? She has a hilariously snide gay best friend/sidekick. So there.



8. Mean Girls (2004). High school in my time could never get this mean. Which is why it was so much fun to watch! Plus, Tina Fey's script is absolutely hilarious!





9. Sabrina (1954). One of the first ugly-duckling-turns-into-a-swan stories of all time. Every girl secretly wishes she could face her biggest childhood crush looking smokin' hot and making him wish he hadn't put her through hell back when they were kids. This movie is one of the firsts to make it happen.




10. High Fidelity (2000). I love John Cusack. I love almost all of his movies. I love the fact that he's not a perfect specimen of manliness yet can own a leading role even better than the typical Hollywood hunk. This movie in particular is one of my favorites, not just among chick flicks but of all time, because of its clever dialogue and lack of over-actors. Plus, did I mention how much I love John Cusack?


And that concludes my top 10 list of chick flicks. It's a good thing there are a lot more film genres to make lists out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment