Friday, January 22, 2010

All we need is?

Beatles fans around the world will definitely be able to answer that question. The popular song says (or sings) "all we need is love". Sorry to be such a pessimist, but I beg to disagree.

A very good friend of mine has recently been, well, let's just say devastated by love. He couldn't sleep, was very moody (more than usual), and whenever we were together he couldn't get it off his mind. At the time, I was doing my best to comfort him. But I noticed that anything I said or did failed to cheer him up. And then, I figured out why. Love is bipolar. It can be beautiful, and at the same time, the biggest pain in the ass.

It's not that I don't believe that love exists, but I don't believe that love is all we need. Love can't survive if there is no food in your stomach and it can't survive if there is no trust. More importantly, love can't survive if there is no peace.

If you really think about it, how can love be all we need when so many people's lives are ruined because of it? Teenage pregnancies, divorce, crimes of passion and even suicide cases are caused by love.

I believe that love can be beautiful given the right circumstances. The problem is that everyone is rushing to find "the one", and they tend to find them in all the wrong places. What's the hurry? Just enjoy life as it comes by the day and hopefully there will come a time when you'll stop looking for "the one" and start being someone else's "one". After all, no one comes out of their first love unscathed.

So no, I don't think that love is all we need. Actually I don't think that there is only one thing we need. We're humans, after all. So given our discontented nature, we think we need everything.

I'll end this with a quote a friend of mine sent me.


"People say that love makes the world go 'round. Well, so will eight shots of tequila. What's their point?"

No comments:

Post a Comment